"Putting Evidence Back Into
Running Injury and Performance"
Gait Analysis Series Part 3: Dr. Izzy Moore – Female Runners
In Part 3 of this four part GAIT ANALYSIS special, guest Dr. Izzy Moore, Associate Professor in Human Movement & Sports Medicine at Cardiff Metropolitan University, discusses what we should be focussing on when working with female runners, in order to to reduce risk of injury and maximise performance.
- Part 1 with Dr. Max Paquette, Associate Professor of the University of Memphis Human Performance
- Part 2 with Dr JF Esculier, Vice-President & Director of Research & Development at The Running Clinic.
- Part 4 with Dr. Allison Gruber, Assistant Professor in the Department of Kinesiology at Indiana University Bloomington.
GAIT ANALYSIS COURSE IN MAY
If you are interested in starting a Gait Analysis service or updating it to be more evidence informed, podcast host Matt Phillips will be giving his course ‘Gait Analysis For Runners: A Modern Approach’ in May 2023:
• Two live ONLINE mornings – Saturday 6th & 13th May
• One IN PERSON full day – Saturday 20th May at The School in Exeter*
*RECORDING will be available for those who cannot attend the IN PERSON day).
Full details & Tickets at The School Website
Topics (with timestamp) include:
- 1:20 Details of all episodes of this Gait Analysis Series
- 2:15 Dr Izzy Moore – over a decade of running related research
- 6:40 Running Researchers that influenced Dr Izzy Moore: Dr Daniel Lieberman, Dr Irene Davis, Dr Allison Gruber
- 11:00 Hardware & software that Dr Moore uses at Cardiff University for running related research
- 14:20 Dr Moore’s studies with Grainne Donnelly & Emma Brockwell ‘Running During Pregnancy & Post Partum, Parts A & B’ (2022)
- 22:30 The relationship of sex-specific kinematic variables & running economy
- 27:10 Should we be encouraging running form changes in female runners pursuing improved running performance?
- 33:00 Camille Herron: Interesting example of femoral anteversion
- 34:00 Sprint Mechanics vs Distance Running
- 36:30 The relationship of sex-specific kinematic variables & running injury
- 39:40 Spatiotemporal variables: Cadence and Step Length
- 48:20 Free Software: Predicting Optimal Gait Characteristics Spreadsheet (link below)
- 49:30 Breast Biomechanics
- 55:20 Follow Dr Izzy Moore on Twitter: @IzzyMoorePhD
- Twitter: @IzzyMoorePhd
- ResearchGate Dr Izzy Moore
- Download Link for ‘Predicting Optimal Gait Characteristics Spreadsheet‘
Our sincere thanks to Dr Izzy Moore for giving up her time to be a guest!
Please Support Our Podcast!
If you appreciate what we do on Runchatlive Podcast, please take a couple of minutes to leave us a rating & review. It really does make all the difference in helping us reach out to a larger audience. iPhone users you can do this from your phone, Android users you will need to do it from iTunes.
In Part 2 of our four part GAIT ANALYSIS special, our special guest Jean Francois Esculier, Vice-President & Director of Research & Development at The Running Clinic, discusses the effectiveness of common Running Gait Modifications, in particular with regards to Patellofemoral Pain.
In Pt1 of this FOUR PART SERIES on GAIT ANALYSIS, Dr. Max Paquette, Associate Professor of the University of Memphis Human Performance Center and Director of the Musculoskeletal Analysis Laboratory, discusses running biomechanics and to what extent it we can use it to reduce running injury risk and increasing running performance.
2023 brings NEW EPISODES of Runchatlive Podcast! Gait Analysis Series with guests including Max Paquette, JF Esculier & Allison Gruber!