"Putting Evidence Back Into
Running Injury and Performance"
Gait Analysis Series Part 2: Dr. JF Esculier – Gait Modifications
In Part 2 of this four part GAIT ANALYSIS special, our special guest Jean Francois Esculier, Vice-President & Director of Research & Development at The Running Clinic, discusses the effectiveness of common Running Gait Modifications, in particular with regards to Patellofemoral Pain.
- Part 1 with Dr. Max Paquette, Associate Professor of the University of Memphis Human Performance
- Part 3 with Dr. Izzy Moore, Associate Professor in Human Movement & Sports Medicine at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
- Part 4 with Dr. Allison Gruber, Assistant Professor in the Department of Kinesiology at Indiana University Bloomington.
GAIT ANALYSIS COURSE IN MAY
If you are interested in starting a Gait Analysis service or updating it to be more evidence informed, podcast host Matt Phillips will be giving his course ‘Gait Analysis For Runners: A Modern Approach’ in May 2023:
• Two live ONLINE mornings – Saturday 6th & 13th May
• One IN PERSON full day – Saturday 20th May at The School in Exeter.*
*RECORDING will be available for those who cannot attend the IN PERSON day.
Full details & Tickets at The School Website
Topics (with timestamp) include:
- 3:20 JF Esculier at Runchatlive Conference 2019
- 5:00 JF Esculier – a decade of running related research
- 6:40 Latest Study: Running Gait Modifications Can Lead To Immediate Reductions In Patellofemoral Pain
- 11:45 The history of gait modifications recommended to reduce patellofemoral pain (PFP).
- 14:25 Step Rate Increase, Run Softer, Foot Strike Pattern
- 19:50 A closer look at cadence
- 21:30 If the runner is not injured, don’t change the way they run
- 22:45 Influence of shoe weight on cadence
- 28:40 The limitations of using ‘comfort’ to choose shoes
- 33:15 The significance of footstrike in running performance
- 34:30 Results of the study: expected & not expected
- 36:50 Why did some runners report report less pain when they reduced cadence, or went to rear foot strike?
- 44:50 Moving load from the patella to the achilles
- 59:00 Instagram, Twitter, Courses with The Running Clinic
- JF Esculier on Twitter: @JFesculier
- JF Esculier Website
- The Running Clinic on Twitter: @ClinicRunning
- The Running Clinic Website
Our sincere thanks to Dr JF Esculier for giving up his time to be a guest!
Please Support Our Podcast!
If you appreciate what we do on Runchatlive Podcast, please take a couple of minutes to leave us a rating & review. It really does make all the difference in helping us reach out to a larger audience. iPhone users you can do this from your phone, Android users you will need to do it from iTunes.
Gait Analysis Series Part 3: Dr. Izzy Moore – Female Runners
In Pt 3 of our four part GAIT ANALYSIS special, our guest Dr Izzy Moore discusses what we should be looking when working with female runners,
Gait Analysis Series Part 1: Dr. Max Paquette – Running Biomechanics
In Pt1 of this FOUR PART SERIES on GAIT ANALYSIS, Dr. Max Paquette, Associate Professor of the University of Memphis Human Performance Center and Director of the Musculoskeletal Analysis Laboratory, discusses running biomechanics and to what extent it we can use it to reduce running injury risk and increasing running performance.
New Podcast Episodes: Gait Analysis Series
2023 brings NEW EPISODES of Runchatlive Podcast! Gait Analysis Series with guests including Max Paquette, JF Esculier & Allison Gruber!