"Putting Evidence Back Into
Running Injury and Performance"
The Endurance Diet: Matt Fitzgerald
In the second episode of our ‘Focus on Nutrition’ on the Runchatlive Podcast and Sports Therapy Association Podcast, our guest was the awesome Matt Fitzgerald, hugely respected endurance runner, sports journalist & best selling author. All four episodes are available on popular podcast apps and also in video format on the Sports Therapy Association YouTube channel.
Many therapists who work with runners/triathletes will already be familiar with Matt Fitzgerald’s articles online, in international magazines, plus his books including ‘Brain Training for Runners’, ’80/20 Running’, the recent ‘Run Like a Pro’, and his excellent nutrition based books including the ‘Racing Weight Series’, ‘Diet Cults’ and ‘The Endurance Diet’.
This episode is an absolute must for anyone interested in diet for endurance athletes!
Questions we put to Matt included:
- You’ve written quite a few books on nutrition over the years including your ‘Racing Weight Series’ 2011 -2014, ‘Diet Cults’ in 2014, ‘The Endurance Diet’ in 2016. Have your views on diet for athletes changed much across that time?
- Your Book ‘The Endurance Diet’ is based on your personal study of how elite athletes around the world eat. Should we recreational athletes be following the same diet as elite athletes?
- How important a factor is genetics when it comes to elite endurance athletes?
- A look at the evolution of humans and diet
- A look at the ‘Five Principal Habits’ of a successful endurance diet:
– eat everything
– eat quality
– eat carb-centred
– eat enough
– eat individually.
- Why are most popular diets based on cutting out certain types of food?
- Do Elite endurance athletes all follow the same diet?
- When you say eat everything, do you mean things like alcohol & sweets too?
- How common are food intolerances and allergies in elite athletes?
- Matt Fitgerald Training Plans: https://www.8020endurance.com/
- Matt’s latest book: ‘Run Like a Pro, Even If You’re Slow‘.
Please Support Our Podcast!
If you appreciate what we do on Runchatlive Podcast and the Sports Therapy Association Podcast, please take a couple of minutes to leave us a rating & review. It really does make all the difference in helping us reach out to a larger audience. iPhone users you can do this from your phone, Android users you will need to do it from iTunes.
How much of diet modification is down to mind over matter? Understanding the challenges & principles of behaviour change is something Dr Gary Mendoza specialises in, as a lecturer in Nutrition for Sport & Exercise at Bath Spa and Cardiff Metropolitan Universities. We were fortunate enough to have him on the Runchatlive podcast and Sports Therapy Association podcast!